FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Are my donations eligible for income tax deductions?
Yes! Mercy Kids Africa is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charitable organization under IRS code. Our Federal Tax ID number is 47-2315850. All donations to MKA, including child sponsorship donations, are eligible for income tax deductions.
- Does my sponsorship fully cover the costs needed to care for the child I sponsor?
A sponsorship of anything less than $265 per month does not fully cover the costs to adequately care for the child. Therefore, one child may have multiple sponsors to cover the many expenses of quality care and living.
- What does child sponsorship cover?
Your child sponsorship donations cover the costs needed for quality care and living. Your sponsorship helps cover the costs needed to provide:
- Three nutritious meals a day
- Quality education at local schools in Chingola
- Safe transportation to and from school
- School supplies and uniforms
- Operational costs for care at LCH
Child sponsorship does not cover day to day clothing, or medical expenses for the children.
- How does my payment work?
Your account will be charged automatically each month for the monthly amount you have set up for child sponsorship. Your monthly payment goes into one child sponsorship fund, which is used to care for all the children at Lusungu Children’s Home.
- Will the financial amount I signed up for ever change?
No. However, please keep in mind that the financial climate in Africa, especially Zambia, can be volatile and fluctuate daily. If costs drastically change in the future due to external factors, we will notify you to see if you are interested in increasing your sponsorship amount.
- How long does the sponsorship last?
The child you are sponsoring at Lusungu Children’s Home will be eligible for sponsorship until he/she is 18 years old, graduates from secondary school, or leaves LCH. When the child you sponsor is no longer eligible for sponsorship, MKA will assign to you a child who is eligible for sponsorship. MKA will inform you of a child sponsorship change.
- How do I update or cancel my child sponsorship?
We’d hate to lose your support, but we understand that circumstances may require you to suspend or discontinue your child sponsorship. At anytime, you can log in to your PayPal account to update or cancel your child sponsorship. For assistance, please contact us at email@example.com. When you feel led to give again, please head back to our website to sign up!
- Are there other ways I can contribute?
Yes! At any point when you feel led, you may make additional donations to MKA at mercykidsafrica.com/donate. If you’re interested in volunteering for MKA, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Communication & Updates:
- How can I communicate and stay connected with the child I sponsor?
MKA will email quarterly updates. Once a year, we will have the child you sponsor connect with you through MKA via email or snail mail. We encourage you to write to your child throughout the year! MKA will take your correspondence to the children when we visit Chingola 2-3 times per year.
Please mail letters to: Mercy Kids Africa, P.O Box 296, Broomall, PA 19008
- Can I send gifts to the child I sponsor?
Unfortunately, not at this time.
- Can I visit my sponsored child?
At this time, we are not facilitating any sponsor trips that will allow you to meet directly with your child, but we do offer Mission Trip opportunities that may allow an introduction.
- Why is my sponsored child older, but in a younger grade?
Some children did not attend school on a regular basis, or at all, before coming to Lusungu Children’s Home. Therefore, the children are not always placed into grades by age, but instead placed according to their individual learning needs.